World Cup Qualifier Canada versus Trinidad and Tobago
TTFOL extra:
Goals: Angus Eve scores in the first half.
          Dwight Yorke puts T&T up 2-0.

Post Game: CTV Sportsnet includind Latapy interview
                   TSN Sportsdesk

Trinidad & Tobago beats Canada in Cup soccer qualifier

 EDMONTON (CP) -- Everyone thought Dwight Yorke, the world-class striker from Manchester United, would be the difference, but it was the nobody from Joe Public who scored the crucial goal in Trinidad and Tobago's 2-0 victory over Canada on Sunday in a World Cup semifinal-round qualifying game.

 Angus Eve, who plays for Joe Public FC in Trinidad, scored a pretty goal on a long, arcing shot in the 43rd minute to break Canada's heart after the Canadians had dominated most of the first half.

 "Away from home, scoring first, you can relax and settle down and play a normal game," said Eve, a man who looks like he never gets uptight about anything. "I just like drifting inside. I got a seam and saw the goal."

 Those in the crowd of 25,208 who came to see Yorke weave his magic weren't disappointed when he iced the game in the 73rd minute on a breakaway.

 Most of the talk before the match was about how the Canadians had to defend against Yorke, who scored 23 goals for Manchester United last season and was England's Premier League football player of the year the previous season.

 Eve said having Yorke and Russell Latapy, who plays for Hibernian in the Scottish Premier League, on the pitch opens up the field for Trinidad's players.

 "The Canadians were always studying what Dwight and Russell would do," said Eve, who was mobbed by his teammates after his shot from 21 yards scraped over the outstretched fingers of goalkeeper Pat Onstad. "That makes it easier for the other guys on the team to express ourselves and we take the opportunity to do so."

 It was a frustrating defeat for the Canadians, who outshot Trinidad 8-4 and forced goalkeeper Clayton Ince to make seven saves, compared to Onstad's one.

 "It was very disappointing. In the first half we couldn't manage our advantage," said Canadian coach Holger Osieck, who saw his team's 15-game unbeaten string snapped. "We outplayed them. When we had our opportunities we were not determined enough. We gave it away."

 It was also the second consecutive match that Canada was held scoreless.

 Forward Paul Peschisolido, who missed several golden scoring chances, said his team was "gutted" by the loss.

 "We're devastated," said the native of Scarborough, Ont., who plays for Fulham of the English First Division.

 "We've gone 15 games undefeated and now that it counts we've got ourselves down."

 Yorke's goal was worthy of his reputation. He dribbled the ball down the left side of the field, used teammate Arnold Dwarika as a decoy, then blasted a shot past Onstad.

 Yorke's goal came just moments after the Canadians argued in vain they should have been awarded a penalty kick after Trinidad defender Dennis Lawrence touched the ball with his hand in the penalty area.

 Referee Rodolfo Alexander disagreed and Canada had to settle for a free kick, which was blocked.

 "That was not the reason we lost the game," said Osieck.

 "We made our mistakes in a different position."

 The loss was a blow for Canada's hopes of advancing to the final round of qualifying for the 2002 World Cup tournament in Japan and South Korea.

 Canada plays the semifinal round in a six-game, round-robin series against Mexico, Panama and Trinidad and Tobago. With Mexico almost a lock to win the series, the rest of the teams are battling for the one remaining spot as only two advance to the final qualifying round for the region representing the North and Central Americas and Caribbean.

 Canada's next match is July 23 in Panama City.

Starry, starry Dwight!
Yorke too much for Canada

By SCOTT ZERR -- Edmonton Sun

 All Dwight Yorke needed was two touches on the ball to change the entire focus of a match.

 Yorke proved his worth to the Trinidad and Tobago national soccer team last night at Commonwealth Stadium as he twice created a bit of magic in a 2-0 victory over Team Canada.

 Manchester United's super-striker, the English Premiership's footballer of the year in 1999, gave his outplayed squad a dramatic lead late in the first half, then added a measure of security on a fantastic breakout in the second stanza, all of which led to the end of the Canadians' 15-game unbeaten streak and a critical three-point setback for the home side in the semifinal round of World Cup 2002 qualifying.

 "We're devastated," said Canadian sparkplug striker Paul Peschisolido after sending the vast majority of 25,208 spectators home disappointed. "We carried 90 per cent of the play but we didn't get the goal we needed. We're all in there (the locker room) just gutted. We played well, it's just unfortunate."

 "To lose 2-0 after so many opportunities is a travesty really," added Canadian captain Jason De Vos, who was sporting a three-stitch gash next to his left eye.

 "In football, there's a lot of luck involved and today it wasn't with us."

 Yorke was kept in check for much of the early stages primarily by defender Mark Watson, but it was his nifty footwork in the 43rd minute that set up a dynamite T&T blast.

 Yorke dangled his way into open space at the edge of the 18-yard-box, then laid the ball back to Angus Eve, whose rocket to the top right corner was beyond the outstretched reach of 'keeper Pat Onstad - just the second shot that was directed at the former Edmonton Driller.

 "We're always looking to shoot from the top of the box," smiled Eve.

  "I just drifted inside and got a seam, saw the goal and went for it. Away from home scoring first, you can relax and settle back down and try to play your normal game."

 The tally was a definite heartbreaker for the Canadians who thoroughly dominated the opening 45 minutes and seemed to give T&T netminder Clayton Ince trouble with everything they put his way.

 The Canucks' best opportunity came in the 15th minute on a dangerous cross into the box by ex-Driller Martin Nash which eventually wound up on the foot of Peschisolido whose solid shot got past Ince but was knocked off the goal line by defender Dennis Lawrence.

 "It was definitely a very disappointing match, particularly the first half when we couldn't manage our advantage in the game," said a dejected Canadian head coach Holger Osieck.

 "When we had our opportunities, we were not determined enough and you see what happens in many games when you don't benefit from your opportunities.''

 Ince made up for his blunders in the second half, however, with two terrific plays - each having a significant role in Canada's demise.

 The Crewe Alexander 'keeper made a clutch stop when he barely tipped Jason Bent's 12-yard riser over the bar on Canada's best chance of the final 45.

 Following a botched free kick from just outside the penalty area, Canada got caught at the back as Ince delivered a long throw right to Yorke's feet and he ended a two-on-one rush with a brilliant strike inside the far post.

 "We started a wee bit slow but the two goals could have graced us to win any game - two terrific goals,"noted T&T bench boss Ian Porterfield.

 "We didn't create as many chances as we would have liked but it was always going to be a hard game.

 '`We knew it wouldn't be easy but it's a good result."